Top 5 Benefits of an Infrared Sauna
Why is the infrared sauna the go to sauna when it comes to wellness and preventative care? Infrared saunas increase the body’s core temperature thus resulting in a much deeper, more detoxifying sweat from the cellular level of the skin where many toxins are housed. Conventional hot rock/steam heat saunas heat the air with steam, which can often be unbearably hot and will cause you to only sweat at the surface of the tissue. Steam also makes the air difficult to breath. An infrared sauna uses soothing dry infrared heat that is well ventilated and extremely comfortable and relaxing. Infrared heat therapy has many benefits but here are my top 5:
1. Detoxification - Detox from an infrared sauna is 7 to 10 times greater than a conventional sauna. In a conventional sauna the average person sweats out 3% toxins and 97% water. In a infrared sauna, the average person sweats out 20% toxins and 80% water!
2. Stop pain - Relieve back, neck, and arthritis pain with infrared sauna heat therapy. Researchers have observed remarkable therapeutic benefits by using continuous low level heat therapy for treating lower back, neck and upper body pain, all musculoskeletal conditions benefit from the infrared sauna. As a chiropractor, adjusting a patient after they have taken an infrared sauna makes the treatment much easier and I get better movement from the heated joints.
3. Lose Weight - A 30 minute infrared sauna session can burn up to 300-600 calories! As the body works to cool itself while using an infrared sauna, there is a substantial increase in heart rate, cardiac output and metabolic rate. The infrared heat therapy raises core body temperature causing passive cardiovascular conditioning. Your body’s natural response to infrared heat therapy is to increase circulation and sweat. Check out the results with a heart rate monitor and you will be amazed. Our 8 weeks to wellness program at McLaughlin Care includes the infrared sauna for this reason. We also encourage our patients to listen to meditation and relax while they lose weight. Speaking of relaxation, many of our patients enjoy the infrared sauna followed by a massage. The deep heat allows our massage therapist to work deeper muscle that can trigger pain and tension.
4. Lower Blood Pressure -The infrared sauna was shown to lower blood pressure from a 30 minute sauna session three times a week. Repeated infrared treatment improves impaired blood vessel functions in patients with high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol. This suggests a preventative role for sauna use for arteriosclerosis and hypertension. The infrared sauna is recommended by the American Heart Association for this very reason.
5. Smoother skin - Improve your skin’s appearance with regular use of a infrared sauna. Open wounds heal quicker with reduced scarring. Infrared heat therapy helps acne, eczema, psoriasis, burns and any skin lesions or cuts. It also reduces wrinkles, makes skin look radiant, firms and improves skin tone and elasticity. Regular use may also help reduce cellulite trapped beneath the skin, lessen the appearance of scars, and help burns heal significantly.
How does the infrared sauna work? Infrared light is part of the Sun’s invisible spectrum of light that has the ability to penetrate the human tissue. Infrared heat therapy uses these infrared light characteristics to heat the body directly rather than just the air. The experience of an infrared sauna healing rays give you warmth and tissue level healing while allowing your body to relax and detox. Sounds like a perfect combination to me.
If you are interested in trying out a session of our infrared sauna, please mention this blog post and we will give you a gift certificate for 1 session. At McLaughlin Care and 8 weeks to wellness, our mission is to prevent disease, reduce pain and promote overall wellness through Chiropractic, infrared saunas, massage, acupuncture, fitness, functional medicine and nutritional counseling. Wellness education is the key to any successful health care plan. It is our goal to give you the best education thru group lectures, blogs and corporate lectures. If you are interested having us explore a topic, attend our monthly Wellness Wisdom lectures or have Dr. Julie McLaughlin speak at a corporate lunch and learn please email me at email@example.com
#BeginwithWellness #healthnews #nutritionalcounseling #fitness #nutrition #mclaughlinchiropracticclinic #Stress #drjuliemclaughlin #loseweightlakebluff #Chiropractic #BestChiropractor #Chiropractor #infraredsauna